9 am: Johnson County Board of Supervisors Meeting- Johnson County Administration Building (913 South Dubuque Street, IC)
View the agenda.
11:05-11:55 am: Confronting Systemic Racism from Within: Lunch Hour Reflections
12 pm: Building Decarbonization
2:30 pm: Cedar Rapids Community School District Negotiating Session with Local Union #497 (Food & Nutrition)- Educational Leadership and Support Center (2500 Edgewood Rd NW) Metro Conference Room
View the agenda.
3:30-6:30 pm: Open House at Table to Table
5:30 pm: REFORMer Virtual Townhall with Reform Alliance
12 pm: Lunch & Learn with Iowa Chapter of the Sierra Club on Facebook Live
12-2 pm: Outreach and Engagement (In Harm Reduction Work)
4 pm: Cedar Rapids Community School District Negotiation Session with Teamsters Local 238 (Bus Drivers) Educational Leadership and Support Center (2500 Edgewood Rd NW) Metro Conference Room
View the agenda.
9:30-11 am: Legislative Forum on Environmental Issues
11 am-1 pm: Equality Act Phonebank
12-4 pm: Catherine McCauley Center Move-In Volunteers Needed
4-7 pm: Iowa City Catholic Worker open volunteer hours
Call (515) 729-6482 to inquire
10 am-2 pm: Houses Into Homes Delivery Day
12-4 pm: Iowa City Catholic Worker Open Volunteer Hours
Call (515) 729-6482 to inquire
7 pm: “Know it All” Trivia Night w/ Unbroken Chain
8-9 pm: Orientation for Prospective Foster/Adoptive Parents: ONLINE or phone
- Getting Back on Track: Strengthening HIV Prevention and Retention across the Midwest is Tuesday through Friday
- Together We Achieve Community Resource Center in Cedar Rapids need volunteers Monday through Saturday
- CommUnity Crisis Center and Food Pantry in Iowa City needs help Tuesday through Saturday.
- St. John of the Cross Catholic Worker House in Cedar Rapids needs meals every day this week. Sign up at Donate a Meal – Catholic Worker House (CR)
- Ronald McDonald House in Iowa City needs meals Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday.
- Houses Into Homes needs help with projects such as sorting and laundering linens, creating kitchen bundles (silverware, tableware, bakeware/pots and pans), helping organize incoming donations, and refurbishing furniture Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Shelter House- Iowa City needs help sorting books for their upcoming book sale fundraiser Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Gain insight into Black history, white privilege and what to do to be actively anti-racist from 1-4pm any day this week. (Click “View Details”, then “Select a different date” on the right-hand side to see all options)
- Apply to serve on the Iowa City Community Police Review Board. Board members investigate complaints filed against Iowa City Police Officers and make recommendations regarding police policy.
- Tell the UI Food Pantry which types of food items you would like to see added to the pantry.
- Get your hair cut/colored/serviced at Honeybee Hair Parlor and $1 will be donated to Shelter House- Iowa City.
- Contact Senator Grassley and encourage him to support passage of The Violence Against Women Act, which includes important enhancements for survivors of domestic & sexual violence. Follow Domestic Violence Intervention Program to stay up to date on its progress.
- Buy a Gourmet Ham & Cheese sandwich from Milio’s and a portion of your purchase will be donated to Table to Table.
- Buy a Shamrock Shake or OREO Shamrock McFlurry from McDonald’s and .25 from each one will benefit Ronald McDonald House.
- Donate Black hair care products to shelters and food banks in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Corridor via drop-off locations at Christina’s Unity Beauty Supply or JD Beauty Supply in Iowa City or at Wilson Middle School in Cedar Rapids. You can also make a monetary donation. This drive goes through February.
- University of Iowa Employees– APPLY for a position on a Campus Charter Committee. Several have vacancies, including Campus Planning; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Family Issues; Sustainability; Safety & Security (which our Director currently chairs); and more.
- Parents/Caregivers of youth under the age of 24 with a mental health disorder: Take Please Pass The Love’s survey to tell them how they can best “elevate and support parents, caregivers, and families.”
Sign Up As A Virtual Volunteer
Help with our Instagram, Twitter, or Facebooks accounts (literally just checking and sharing other pages’ posts), write weekly legislative updates or other posts, review city council/county board/school board agendas (even just your own town/district) for potential calls to action, email potential sponsors, send organizational emails, or help with grant writing. Email us and tell us how you would like to get involved!
Learn More About CCAN
Get a better understanding of CCAN and the work we do by watching this video from the North Liberty Public Library.
Mobile Community Clothing Closet Update!
Clothing service has been a big success, with over *180* served already! However, some items go fast and we could really use some help restocking, especially winter coats (particularly men’s size L and 3XL) and other heavy outerwear, men’s size 15 shoes, socks, gloves, and long underwear! You can drop items off at Iowa City Fab Lab (870 S. Capitol St) between 9 am and 5 pm on weekdays or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make pick-up/drop-off arrangements.
Other ways you can help us sustain service include:
- Volunteer to assist with events as a driver (33 foot RV) or shopping assistant. We *really* need drivers, especially with weekend availability!! Drivers do need to be approved by our insurance company before their first volunteer day, so please email us your DOB, DL number, and expiration date tprior to signing up for events.
- Buy a limited edition “DRESS PEOPLE WHERE THEY’RE AT” #CCANClothesCruise shirt to support our free mobile clothing closet. This site will be pulled soon, so get yours while you still can!
- Host a winter gear/clothing drive (or become a long-term drop-off location!) for the free mobile clothing closet (maybe at your place of work?) by email. We tend to get close to emptied out at each event, so this will be an ongoing need.
- Volunteer as a route coordinator, volunteer coordinator, and/or fundraising assistant by emailing us
- Donate your extra hooks, racks, hangers, bins, and other improvement/organizational supplies by dropping them off at Iowa City Fab Lab (870 S. Capitol St, IC) between 9 am and 5 pm on weekdays or email us.
- Host a fundraiser for us! Gas, insurance, parking, and other maintenance expenses will be ongoing and our windshield needs repaired. Email us
- Donate needed items by ordering from our Amazon Wishlist. We quickly run out of new socks, gloves, and ponchos and are always low on snow boots (all sizes) and large/extra large coats.
- Send financial contributions to:
- Let us know what locations you think we should add to our popup routes!
- Join our Auction Group for the chance to win some great items from local businesses and support our efforts to establish this service in the Corridor! Watch for clothing, tea items, and gift cards to be posted this week!
- Sponsor #CCANClothesCruise with your business or institution and having your logo included in promotional materials and eventually on the vehicle itself. Email us.
The Mobile Clothing Closet simultaneously addresses an unmet need for free clothing resources in the corridor and the high volume of textiles that enter our landfill every year, much of which we can re-route to those in need. Find more info on #CCANClothesCruise.
We would like to give a huge thank you to our individual donors, our sponsors GreenState Credit Union, North Liberty City Government, MidWestOne Bank, Hills Bank and Trust Company, Veridian Credit Union, Town Square Family Foot Care, Thompson & Co Salon Parlor, ReUnion Brewery, and The Accell Foundation; our supporters Sidekick Coffee & Books, Airport National Golf Course, Maestro Empanadas, RAYGUNshirts, Applebee’s Grill + Bar, Aroma Artisan Pizza, Textiles, Renee’s Ceramic Cafe, Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, Hudson’s, Big Grove Brewery, The Map Room, Speedeezz Indoor Karting, Kae Apothecary Brass Ring Coffee, Monica’s, Shop Iowa, Molly’s Cupcakes Iowa City, Iowa City Downtown District, Players, Andrew’s Bar Exam, The Chocolate Haus, Prairie Kitchen Store, Vue Rooftop, WOOFABLES, AOK Photography, Cedar Ridge Wine & Distillary, Quinton’s Bar & Deli Coralville, CHOMP Delivery, Tru Salon, Short’s Marion, Iowa City Fab Lab, Cielo Goods, Collins Community Credit Union; and everyone who has participated in the fundraisers we’ve held to date. We couldn’t have made it this far without you!